Saturday, October 23, 2010

When Pigs Fly

The Texas Rangers are going to the World Series! Yes, the same Texas Rangers team that always seems to tease us, doing well in the early part of the season, only to fail in the heat of mid-summer. We've heard about their typical "June swoon." There's the joke that the Texas Rangers would be sold to a consortium of businessmen in the Philippines and be renamed the "Manila Folders," But this year they did it.

Why? So many reasons. One is the performance of Josh Hamilton, who was named the Most Valuable Player for the just-concluded series. Hamilton's speech after the game, in which he thanked God and told how his teammates loved each other and pulled together, was very moving. He recognized that what he was experiencing was the result of the efforts of a myriad of people, from the ownership down to the fans, but that above all, God deserved praise for the way he'd brought Josh from the depths of substance abuse to the present moment. More important, it's evident that Josh recognizes that he's not through--with baseball or with life. And he's going to need to lean on God and on others as he goes down that road.

Watching the celebration last night, it was evident that the Rangers had a love of the game and of each other, and a passion for reaching their goal. As I look at some of the challenges that have recently come my way, I wonder if I can be equally passionate about meeting them. Can I do it? Well, the Rangers did, and I don't see any porcine aviators in the skies over North Texas, so I guess it's possible.

3 comments:

Anne Mateer said...

I woke up this morning and still couldn't believe it was true--and that was after watching the amazingly satisfying final out TWICE--once live and once recorded! Yes, Josh Hamilton is a class act and I'm so glad for such a man for my boys to look up to, to see that God can redeem even what appear to be the most difficult of circumstances. And it inspires me, too, to push through. And as a life-long Ranger fan the victory was so very sweet!

The question is: will you get to go to any of the world series games, Doc?

Richard Mabry said...

Anne, we stayed up and watched the post-game show for over an hour, exulting in the win by a group of guys that truly seemed to be working as a team. This is in distinction to many other teams today, groups that one "old-time" professional player of my acquaintance calls "twenty-five guys with brief cases."
We'll be watching the games on TV and rooting for the Rangers all the way.

Erin MacPherson said...

Yes, we're also superexcited about the Rangers (and equally upset about our beloved Longhorns!). *sigh*. Such is life. I just finished Code Blue and I LOVED it. It kept me up until 1 am last night reading. Congrats on a great book!