Thursday, September 16, 2010

Silence

Simon and Garfunkel had a hit song years ago: The Sounds Of Silence. But silence has become a scarce commodity in our culture. When people climb into their cars, they immediately reach for their cell phones and call someone. Maybe they're returning a business call or making contact with a family member. But whatever the reason for the call, the underlying theme is a need to fill that time on the road with something productive.

In the rare times between phone calls, there's always the radio or a CD to which we can listen. And some people have satellite radio, giving them a plethora of choices to fill the quiet.

I'm not a big one for talking on the cell phone while driving. It's hard enough for me to walk and chew gum at the same time, so, unless there's an urgent need to make a call, I concentrate on my driving. And recently I've begun to leave the radio or CD unplayed when I'm alone in the car. I'm enjoying the sounds of silence.

Often, I find my thoughts putting together fragmented ideas I've had earlier in the day. Sometimes a verse of Scripture pops into my head, and I can take the time to meditate on it. Often there are times when I hear a melody in my mind, with words that speak to me more clearly than anything that might come out of a loudspeaker.

What about you? Do you try to fill every waking hour with activity and sound? Or do you occasionally enjoy the silence?

4 comments:

Maria I. Morgan said...

Sometimes I truly enjoy the silence. I recently finished reading a chapter in a book about discipline - the discipline of quietness. It is a discipline to cultivate an inner attitude of quietness! In today's day & age, many prefer filling every waking moment with noise of some sort, but it's vitally important to be able to quiet our hearts and listen to what the Master has to say to us! Thanks for the post! God bless!

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Maria. I'm as guilty as anyone of failing to cultivate the discipline of silence...but I'm trying. Glad you are, as well.

Carol J. Garvin said...

In my home province of BC it's now illegal to use handheld devices while driving because of their distraction. When the law came into effect there was a rush to buy hands-free cell phones. (I'm not sure that really eliminates the distraction but at least both hands can be on the steering wheel.)

Most of the time I'm a quiet person and value the solitude that usually accompanies silence. I like to be able to hear what's going on in my mind, whether I'm thinking story things, planning a devotional, praying or just listening. "Be still and know that I am God" is a favourite verse. :)

Richard Mabry said...

Carol, there are restrictions in my home city against using a handheld cell phone in an active school zone, and there's a movement in some areas to require drivers to use hands-free devices at all times. However, to me distraction is aural, not manual, so the problem continues.