Monday, June 07, 2010

Interviews

Interviews--love 'em or hate 'em? I don't mean an interview for a job or a position in an educational program. These are mandatory, and so far as I know, nobody likes them. I mean interviews on TV with celebrities, interviews on the web with writers, interviews in the newspaper with whatever sports or entertainment figure is hot at the moment. What's your reaction to interviews? Do you follow them, skip them, believe them, dismiss them as hype?

Authors submit to interviews whenever and wherever possible. After all, we're constantly told that it's important for us to achieve name recognition. And it's sort of fun--at least initially. But after a while we find ourselves answering the same questions over and over. I'm guilty of this when I'm on the other side of the interview process, setting up an interview for this blog. I try to interview interesting people--mostly authors, because that's the world in which I move nowadays--but I must confess that it's tough for me to find something new to ask them.

Book critic Rel Mollet, in the "land down under," has a great website in which she reviews books, posts character sketches, and interviews authors, and she does a very good job of it. I recently completed one of Rel's interviews and found it to be both fun and fascinating. Even my brother-in-law told me that he felt like he knew me better after reading this interview, so Rel succeeded when she crafted the questions.

But that brings me back to my original question. If an interview lets you "inside" a personality, are you more likely to watch their movie, buy their book, attend a sporting event that features them? I'll be interested to see your opinions. Meanwhile, I've just agreed to do a couple of podcasts, which are the 21st century equivalent of an interview I guess. I'll post details on them later. After all, I'm sure you'll want to catch those interviews.

5 comments:

Timothy Fish said...

No, I’m not more likely to watch a movie, buy a book or attend a sporting event because of an interview that lets me “inside” a personality (with a few exceptions). However, I enjoy watching interviews and when the interview gives me a better understanding of what the story is about I am more likely to watch the movie or buy the book.

Elaine said...

I love reading/listening to interviews. They definitely make me more likely to read the book, etc. They make me feel as if I know the author, actress, player, or whatever.

Carol J. Garvin said...

I'm not drawn to watch or read an interview unless I already have an interest in the person. Then learning new details helps deepen my interest.

Rel said...

Hey Richard - it was a pleasure to get to know you better and I appreciated the time you took to answer my questions!

I get a lot of positive feedback on my interviews but (and I'm guessing here) I think the readers who enjoy the interviews the most are ones who have already read the author's book and have a "connection" of sorts with them.

Rel said...

Hey Richard - it was a pleasure to get to know you better and I appreciated the time you took to answer my questions!

I get a lot of positive feedback on my interviews but (and I'm guessing here) I think the readers who enjoy the interviews the most are ones who have already read the author's book and have a "connection" of sorts with them.