Saturday, April 10, 2010

Enough About Books--Play Ball!!!


I suspect that my loyal readers are as tired of reading about all the activities leading up to my book launch as I am of writing about them--or living through them, for that matter. Let's talk about something that's a lot more interesting: baseball.

I've always loved the game. I began playing when I was in grade school, and by the time I made it into high school I was on the baseball team. See if you can pick me out of the picture above. (Hint--don't be fooled by my cousin, Wilton Mabry, who signed the picture. I'm one of the guys in uniform).

I managed to play some semi-pro ball while I was in college, but those were the days before the designated hitter. Since I could throw a curve ball but couldn't hit one, I think medicine was a better career choice.

Many years later, I was given the opportunity to attend a number of baseball fantasy camps. That's where the baseball card comes from. I've played alongside Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford, Enos "Country" Slaughter, "Moose" Skowron, Brooks Robinson, Maury Wills, Juan Marichal, Milt Pappas, just to mention a few. My first novel--the one that still languishes on my hard drive, features a physician who failed to make the grade in pro baseball, but gets one more chance when he returns to a baseball fantasy camp. The editors (especially the men) loved it. Unfortunately, the bean-counters on the Pub Board didn't.

Anyway, the baseball season is upon us again. So writing may have to go onto the back burner for a bit, at least until the Texas Rangers begin to lose. Until then...Play Ball.

PS--I just realized I'm the "featured author" right now on the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) website. The interview tells you a bit about me, including more on my first novel about baseball and medicine. You might want to check it out here.

1 comment:

D'Ann Mateer said...

I always think of you during baseball season--and I still love the idea of that book that is on your hard drive! My husband and boys are so excited that the season is underway.