Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mount Hermon Christian Writer's Conference


I'll be teaching this year at one of the most prestigious Christian writer's conferences in the nation: the Mount Hermon Conference, near San Jose, California. I attended my first MH conference in 2005. As a matter of fact, that's where I met the woman who, although an editor at the time, was to eventually become my agent: Rachelle Gardner.

In subsequent years, I was fortunate to make the acquaintance of such noted authors as Gayle Roper, James Scott Bell, Randy Ingermanson, Karen Ball, Brandilyn Collins, DiAnn Mills, and several others. I also became friends with writers who went on to become published authors: Austin Boyd, Shawn Grady, Cathy Cushman, to name just a few.

I met a number of editors, and found that most of them were quite nice--not the fire-breathing monsters the neophyte author imagines them to be. Likewise, I found that agents are human, as well. True, these are people who can literally control the destiny of a writer, and they take that responsibility seriously, but they can also have fun. And it's nice to find that out.

I've looked forward to this conference for several weeks, because this year I've come full circle: from neophyte writer to published author and faculty member. That's twice in my life I've been able to close that loop, since I obtained my medical education from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and, after 26 years in private practice, returned to serve for ten years as a Professor on the faculty of that institution. That was quite a thrill, and I imagine this will be, as well.

I have some interesting posts lined up in my absence, starting with my interview of medical fiction writer Candace Calvert on Monday. I think you'll enjoy it.

PS--If you're in the Dallas area, join me at Legacy Books on Thursday, April 8, from 7:00 to 8:30 for my launch party and signing. I'll have a few words to say about the writing process, do a brief reading, and we'll all have cake and coffee. Y'all come.

2 comments:

Carol J. Garvin said...

I don't need to say, "Enjoy the conference" because you obviously know you're going to. I've only attended the Surrey Int'l Writers' Conference because it's held close to where I live which makes it slightly more affordable for me, but I've gone several times and loved it. Good conferences have something to offer writers at every level of experience. I'm looking forward to Surrey again this October.

Keli Gwyn said...

I hope you're having a wonderful time. I'm sure your students are being blessed through you.