Thursday, March 18, 2010

Knock On Doors

I enjoy the Matthew Scudder novels by Lawrence Block. Scudder is a former detective, a sober alcoholic, who calls upon his police experience to help him solve problems for friends. One of his favorite expressions, especially when he feels stumped by a problem, roughly translates as "Get up, get out there, and knock on doors." Sometimes, even when you don't want to, that's exactly what's needed to get an answer.

My wife and I moved to this northern suburb of the Dallas Metroplex almost two years ago, but from time to time we go back to the southern suburb where we formerly lived. We did that just a few days ago, and while Kay was occupied elsewhere I dropped in to the local Christian bookstore to visit with the owner, a fellow Deacon at our former church and a man who'd always encouraged me in my writing. I'd had my publisher send him an advance copy of Code Blue, and we talked a bit about it.

Like many authors, I'm embarrassed when it comes to asking another person to help publicize my novel. I mustered up my courage and said, "Charlie, maybe we can arrange a signing here after the book comes out. " My knock on his door was tentative. His response was anything but that.

Not only will my friend look into my doing a signing at his store, he'll talk with a group of ladies from the church about making Code Blue the next selection of their book club. In addition, one of his employees will take the cover art, my photo, and other material I gave them and craft a Powerpoint presentation to run in a loop on the monitor that stands in the center of the door. Finally, they'll display a stack of bookmarks advertising the book.

Authors, sometimes, you just have to get out there and knock on doors. The results may surprise you. They did me.

1 comment:

D'Ann Mateer said...

Good for you! You never know what will happen if you ask!