Monday, March 22, 2010

Interview With DiAnn Mills

Today I’m privileged to have as my guest my friend, fellow Texan, and award-winning author DiAnn Mills.

DiAnn launched her career in 1998 with the publication of her first book. Currently she has fifty books in print and has sold 1.5 million copies.Six of her titles have appeared on the CBA Bestseller List. Three of her books have won the distinction of Best Historical of the Year by Heartsong Presents. Five of her books have won placements through American Christian Fiction Writer’s Book of the Year Awards 2003 – 2008, and she is the recipient of the Inspirational Reader’s Choice award for 2005 and 2007. She was a Christy Awards finalist in 2008.

DiAnn is a founding board member for American Christian Fiction Writers, a member of Inspirational Writers Alive, Romance Writers of America’s Faith, Hope and Love, and Advanced Writers and Speakers Association. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country. DiAnn is also a mentor for Jerry B. Jenkins Christian Writer’s Guild. 

She and her husband live in sunny Houston, Texas. They have four adult sons and are active members of Metropolitan Baptist Church.

RM:  DiAnn, for those of my readers who don’t know you, tell us a little about how you began writing.

DM: I can’t remember ever not writing. It was like breathing. Still is. But I never had the courage to take writing seriously until my husband challenged me to write a book. That was in ’96, and my first book was released in ’98. I pulled out a manuscript that I’d been hiding, learned how to use a computer, and took on the task of learning how to write from the pros.

RM: You’re a mentor for the Jerry B Jenkins Christian Writer’s Guild as well as teaching across the country, but some people may not know that you open your home for mentoring clinics as well. Please tell us more about those.

DM: I believe in helping other writers learn the craft of writing. I take what I’ve learned and apply it to a curriculum that focuses on characterization, plot, dialogue, and narrative with a heavy emphasis on emotive conflict. The sessions are three days long and limited to eight participants. And did I say homework? Participants work very hard! I’ve also taught the clinic at various writer’s conferences.

RM: Your western historicals are very good and extremely popular, yet you’ve branched out to other genres. How did that come about?

DM: I’d say the love of story and suspense. My mind is constantly whirling with “what-if.” Those moments can happen anywhere, anytime, and in any date in history. What intrigues me is a woman in a role that traditionally belongs to a man.

RM: Your first book in the Call of Duty series was quite a success, and now the second book is about to launch. What can you tell us about Sworn To Protect?

DM: Danika Morales is a Border Patrol Agent protecting the US borders along the Rio Grande River in Texas. But her oath has cost her. Someone is leaking information to the informants, and the only person she can trust may be betraying her.

RM: And, as I always ask, do you have any last words for my readers?

DM: I appreciate readers. We writers are spinning words without you. I invite you to visit my website. Sign up for my newsletter and look for contests there and soon on my facebook fan page. Again, I appreciate your reading my books.

Thanks, DiAnn, for joining us. I highly recommend your books, and know my readers will enjoy them.
 

No comments: