Thursday, March 04, 2010

Book Launch

There are so many things you don't even think of when you're writing a book. One of them is a launch party. I recently attended the launch party for local author Mary DeMuth's memoir, Thin Places. There was a nice crowd in attendance. Mary talked for a while about writing a memoir, then she cut the cake--a delicious replica of the cover of her book--and signed books. It was low-key and fun.

I'd already scheduled my own launch party, to be held at the same place as Mary's: Legacy Books in Plano. It's set for April 8 at 7:00 PM, and each of you reading this should consider this a personal invitation to attend. I'll probably do something fairly low key. However, I have read of fellow authors who had gala launch parties with bands, prizes, food, and all sorts of hoopla. And I have to admit, that makes me a little nervous. That's just not my style, and I hope none of you who attend will be disappointed that I haven't booked a rock band and had my son-in-law design a spectacular light show in the manner of the Super Bowl halftime.

Anyway, those are my plans for a launch party. Authors who read this, what have you done or what will you do when your book launches? Ideas are welcome.

6 comments:

Keli Gwyn said...

I hope you have a wonderful time at your launch party, whatever you decide to do.

Matilda McCloud said...

Wish I could attend, but too far away (NJ)...well, prizes are always fun--maybe a raffle or quiz or something like that...(your book, of course, would be the prize)...Good luck!

Carol J. Garvin said...

My cousin's book launch (http://ramcguire.com/here-for-a-good-time-book/) was held at a Vancouver night club, complete with music, and yet it was still low key in other ways. As a celebrity (he's lead singer of the Canadian legendary rock band "Trooper") he put out a public invitation to his friends, family and followers, but kept the evening simple... light snacks, a reading from his book, with recorded music from his albums in the background and lots of opportunity for conversation with him and his band members who obviously were a big part of the book. It was a successful evening without a lot of fanfare.

A display table for your books could be enhanced with theme material suited to your subject and that can add nicely to the atmosphere (i.e., cover the table casually with a scrubs-green sheet and a lab coat, display a microscope between piles of your books, loop a steth. over a stand holding a poster of your book cover, etc.)

I'm sorry I don't live close enough to attend (BC, Canada) but I wish you a successful evening. Relax and enjoy yourself.

P.S. Make sure to take a camera and ask someone to take candid shots for you!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to attend too, but I'm from Michigan, so the trip is impossible. I'd like to meet you. I think we're kindred souls. I, too, would like to have a very low key party if one were necessary at all. However, I think the previous suggestions about decorating with a medical motif were excellent. Have a good time, and please do report on it to us, including the pictures.

Catherine West said...

Sadly I'm not going to be in your area in April! :0) But I shall be cheering you on from Bermuda. Okay, if and when I ever have the amazing opportunity to call myself a published author, I'm throwing the biggest durn book launch party ever!! I have worked long and hard and boy will I enjoy that party - at the moment it is just a dream. But it's going to be fun if it happens!
Enjoy yours, Richard!

Keli Gwyn said...

I hope you have a wonderful time at your launch party, whatever you decide to do.