Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Presidents Day

I'm old enough to recall when George Washington's birthday (February 22) was an official holiday. On the other hand, February 12--birthday of Abraham Lincoln and of my father--never was. For going on 30 years, we've lumped these together and observed Presidents Day. A few people celebrate by flying their flag. Car dealers and department stores celebrate by holding sales. Most of the nation observes this by going about their daily routines and wondering why there was no mail delivery.

I hope you'll pause and reflect on the men who have helped guide our country. We have had some good men and some scoundrels at the helm of our Ship of State. But whether you agree or disagree with their actions, there's little doubt that serving in that office takes its toll. If you don't believe it, compare pictures of any given President when they take office and when they leave. There's never any question which is the "after" picture.

I also hope you'll join me in praying for our country. I Timothy 2:1-2 tell us, "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."

No comments: