Monday, November 16, 2009

Amazon Has My LIfe

I navigated to my Amazon.com author page and the realization hit me: Amazon is showing a capsule of my professional life. The three books shown next to my photograph are 1) Allergy In ENT Practice, one of the last of the many textbooks I've co-written or edited, 2) The Tender Scar: Life After The Death Of A Spouse, the book I wrote after the death of my first wife and following my retirement from medicine, and 3) Code Blue, my debut novel of medical suspense, due out April 1, 2010.

I guess that pretty well summarizes my professional life. I spent thirty-six years as a physician, educator, researcher, medical writer. After retiring in 2002, I spent three years drawing on my journal entries made after Cynthia's death to write The Tender Scar, learning a great deal (but never enough) about writing and publishing along the way. After I turned my attention to writing fiction, I wrote three complete novels that never saw the light of day, producing several revised versions of the work as well, before I got a contract for Code Blue. And, to be truthful, I didn't get that contract. My agent, Rachelle Gardner, and editor Barbara Scott of Abingdon Press cooperated to make that happen.

I recently participated in a teaching conference at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and discovered that I'm still pretty knowledgeable about allergy in otolaryngology (that's ENT). On the other hand, I'm continuing to write. I'm well into the third book in my Prescription For Trouble series while responding to the final edits for Code Blue. I feel like one of those stunt riders who gallops around the ring with one foot on the back of each of two horses. But so long as I can keep them going on a manageable course, I'm enjoying the ride.

Hope you're enjoying your ride as well, wherever those horses are taking you.

1 comment:

Jody Hedlund said...

It must be thrilling to see that many books listed beside your name on Amazon! Congratulations! I hope you'll see many more in the years ahead!