Monday, January 05, 2009

Good Advice For The New Year

I don't really do formal New Year's Resolutions any more. Instead, I generally trot out the same ones I used the year before, dust them off, and vow to do better. Sometimes I do. Often I don't. But the beginning of a new year is always a good opportunity to take a close look at ourselves and consider the changes we want to make. And it's often helpful to see what kind of advice others may have for us. Here are a couple of pieces you may find helpful.

For writers, BJ Hoff has posted an excellent piece about the mistakes a writer can't afford to make. I found myself going "amen" as I read each section. This is one that's worth printing off and re-reading from time to time.

Our pastor, Dr. Chuck Swindoll, had some great advice for us yesterday. He listed "five ways to have a miserable year." They are:
1.) Worry a lot
2.) Plan to get rich
3.) Compare yourself with others
4.) Lengthen your list of enemies
5.) Set unrealistically high expectations

I've been guilty of all of those things at one time or another. I suspect perhaps you have, as well. This year, I'm going to try to do better. Maybe that's enough of a resolution. Maybe it's one I can keep.

2 comments:

lynnrush said...

I LOVE IT: five ways to have a miserable year

THOSE ARE SO TRUE.

Thanks for the post, Richard. Have a great day

Catherine West said...

Very good advice, Richard, thanks for posting it!! I read both and enjoyed the pieces.