Monday, September 15, 2008

Leavin' On A Jet Plane

"Leavin' on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again. Oh, babe, I hate to go." Like the words of Peter, Paul, and Mary's classic hit, Kay and I will soon be leaving on a jet plane, bound from DFW to Minneapolis and the annual meeting of the American Christian Fiction Writers. I'm planning on taking several classes and have appointments with a couple of editors, at least one of whom seems pretty interested in my most recent novel. Yet, in keeping with the lyrics of the song, I do sort of hate to go.

I guess I have to agree with my fellow Texan, Nolan Ryan. "Anybody who thinks travel is glamorous ain't done enough of it." I'm a lifetime Platinum AAdvantage member because I've logged two million miles on American Airlines. I'm not particularly proud of it, it just happened. Since my retirement, I've gradually cut back on my travel, from what was once a schedule of three trips a month to a current one of perhaps four a year. Now I'm content to hang out at home, avoiding the lines at security, the almost inevitable flight delays, the agonizing wait for bags to come off the belt, the stress of navigating a rental car in a strange town or surrendering to a cabbie who appears to be auditioning for a demolition derby slot, the cold sweat I experience when wondering if my hotel room is going to be between the elevator and ice machine and below a room full of people practicing their clog dancing. If you've traveled much lately, maybe you'll identify to some extent.

But on the plus side, I'm still sort of looking forward to visiting with people with whom I'm in frequent email contact but only see once a year or so. I anticipate the charged-up feeling I get when I'm around other writers, especially those who write for the same purpose I do: to fulfill a direct commission from God. And it will be nice to escape the Texas heat for a few days, although Kay and I have found that wherever we go, weather aberrations seem to follow us. So look out, Minneapolis. I predict unseasonably warm weather, interspersed with flooding rains, about the time our plane arrives Thursday.

2 comments:

Catherine West said...

Looking forward to meeting you, Richard! have a safe journey and see you at the conference!

Catherine West said...

Looking forward to meeting you, Richard! have a safe journey and see you at the conference!