Thursday, June 19, 2008

Speaking Opportunities

I'll be speaking and teaching this weekend at the regional conference of Baptist church librarians of Texas, and I look forward to the opportunity to share with them. I was originally invited to speak at their banquet, where my subject will be "Publishing The Pain." After I accepted that invitation, they mentioned that there was an opening in their schedule and asked if I'd like to teach a class. I agreed, choosing the topic "A Look Inside Christian Publishing." For those publishing houses that have rejected my novels, including one prestigious house that requested a full manuscript--twice--and then rejected it--twice--you may wish you'd been nicer to me. Seriously, I won't be poor-mouthing anyone. However, I do look forward to giving these folks a look at what I've learned over the past four years as I made the transition from physician to writer and author.

Most of these engagements have been either in the Dallas-Fort Worth area or in conjunction with a trip I was already planning. I've spoken in North Carolina several times, once in Birmingham, and lots of times in other parts of Texas. I don't ask for an honorarium or even payment of expenses, simply considering this a part of the ministry to which God has called me.

I'll have a report on my experiences early next week. Meanwhile, I can hardly wait to hear what I have to say.

1 comment:

One More Writer said...

What a fun opportunity. I know you will be great!