Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"We Have A Winner!"

You may recall that I mentioned the contest that Rachelle Gardner was running on her "agenting" blog, CBA Rants and Ramblings. She had over a hundred submissions of first lines for a novel. She judged them anonymously, then cracked the code and posted the results today on her blog. Check them out. There are some very good ones there. I'm especially fond of the one that took first place. See if you agree.

The next part of the contest is to write up to 300 words as the start of a novel, using one of the top first lines chosen. It's not too late to join the fun. Click on the link above for more details.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

And the winna is . . .

Congrats, Richard! Good line.

Ed J. Horton said...

Richard,

I thought your opener was excellent, especially in a contest for non-genre-specific first lines. I'm using it to write, what I hope turns into, a strong first page. We'll see if I feel that way when I finally send it to Rachelle!

Me thinks the competition is fierce!

Katy McKenna said...

Richard, A day later, I'm still excited for you! And while there were 115 people who entered, there were 301 actual "first lines" in the competition. Now, I need to get writing!

Katy McKenna www.fallible.com

Myra Johnson said...

Yea, Dr. M! Loved your opening line! It would certainly entice me to read on (and I hope I get to!).

Katy McKenna said...

Richard, A day later, I'm still excited for you! And while there were 115 people who entered, there were 301 actual "first lines" in the competition. Now, I need to get writing!

Katy McKenna www.fallible.com