Saturday, September 29, 2007

Writing Tool: Bible In Chronologic Order


In addition to my fiction, I've been working on an article on one of the apostles for a Christian periodical. I knew where I wanted to go with it, but it became important to know the true chronologic sequence in which the events in this man's life occurred. Was this account in Mark something that happened before that story in Luke? How do I reconcile what's written in Matthew with a similar but different story in John? If you've ever tried to do something like this, you recognize how important it is to have a source that will help the pieces of the puzzle dovetail.

Last year, I'd purchased a copy of The Daily Bible in Chronological Order, intending to use it for my daily Bible readings through the year. Well, I'm not above admitting that it got put at the bottom of the stack, from whence my wife rescued it and began reading it, while her well-meaning husband stayed in his usual rut. Then, when this need popped up, I finally dug into the book and found it to be very helpful--for this project and for future Bible readings. You might want to look into it yourself.

Now back to writing. It seems that either no one is interested in my writing or I have to juggle two or more projects simultaneously. Believe me, I prefer the latter to the former.

Come back on Tuesday to read a great interview with Deborah Raney. Deb tells us some things I'll bet you didn't know about herself and gives us a preview of her forthcoming novels. Yes, plural. Busy lady and a very talented writer. Hope you'll be back then.

2 comments:

Rachelle G. said...

Interesting! I never thought about how the chronological Bible could also be helping in certain writing projects.

I didn't buy that Bible, but I downloaded a chronological reading plan (my "rut" is that I always like to read out of my same trusty Bible with all my notes in it!) Right now I'm doing the Gospels chronologically. This is fascinating because it really highlights the redundancies between the gospels as well as the differences.

Can't wait to read Deb's interview!

Rachelle G. said...

Interesting! I never thought about how the chronological Bible could also be helping in certain writing projects.

I didn't buy that Bible, but I downloaded a chronological reading plan (my "rut" is that I always like to read out of my same trusty Bible with all my notes in it!) Right now I'm doing the Gospels chronologically. This is fascinating because it really highlights the redundancies between the gospels as well as the differences.

Can't wait to read Deb's interview!