Saturday, July 28, 2007

Looking For The Right Word

Are you stumped? I mean, are you baffled, bewildered, blocked, challenged, confused, foiled, mystified, nonplussed, perplexed, puzzled, stymied? Does the thesaurus that's a part of MS Word fail to meet your needs? Is it unsatisfactory? That is, is it disappointing, inadequate, inferior, insufficient, unacceptable? Then do I have a writing tool for you.

I was first introduced to The Flip Dictionary at the Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference, when Dave Talbott gave away a copy as part of his lunch-time antics. "Hmm," I said to myself. I sort of put it on the back burner until I got back home, but the next time I was stumped for a word I broke down and made Barnes and Noble a bit richer by purchasing a copy. Since then it's been front and center on my desk, and I daresay I've used it more than any writing reference I have.

Check it out. We all know that you're not supposed to use the same word repeatedly--especially not within the same paragraph. Want a synonym? Looking for another word. Just consult your copy of The Flip Dictionary. I think you'll agree that it's useful, beneficial, contributive, handy....

No comments: