Thursday, July 19, 2007

Can't Avoid The Tag

I have read enough blogs to recognize the current fad of "tagging" someone, challenging them to reveal seven things about themselves. This is a form of "meme." I had to look that one up: "An Internet meme is a piece of digital content that spreads rapidly, widely, and organically from person to person on the Internet. The term is a reference to the memes as virus-like self-replicating packets of information." (from Wikipedia). I actually was tagged a couple of months ago and posted my seven random things. I've tried to maintain a low profile since then (sound of muffled laughter in the background from my wife, who knows better), but I haven't been able to avoid being tagged once more--this time by my friend, BJ Hoff. So, using the questions BJ proposes, here are the answers to seven questions about me.

1. What's the one book or writing project you haven't yet written but still hope to?
Stories I Couldn't Tell Until I Retired From Practice (And Checked With My Lawyer)
2. If you had one entire day in which to do nothing but read, what book would you start with?
I know I should say The Bible, but it would probably be Robert B. Parker's latest book--whatever it was at the time.
3. What was your first writing "instrument" (besides pen and paper)?
A manual Royal typewriter that my father and mother managed to find the money to buy for me when I was in high school
4. What's your best guess as to how many books you read in a month?
As few as four and as many as eight or ten
5. What's your favorite writing "machine" you've ever owned?
My current Mac iBook G4 (PC, what's a PC?)
6. Think historical fiction: what's your favorite time period in which to read? (And if you don't read historical fiction--shame on you.)
The 1930's, as chronicled by Raymond Chandler
7. What's the one book you remember most clearly from your youth (childhood or teens)?
Treasure Island

It's customary to "tag" other folks after having been tagged yourself. BJ has already tagged some of the folks I would have involved, but there are plenty of others. After almost no thought, I have decided to pass the buck to Kristy Dykes, Alton Gansky, Rachelle Gardner, D'Ann Mateer, Lena Dooley, Mary DeMuth and John Robinson (John, you need a new post on your blog, anyway). And I hope these folks will consider the consequences of breaking the chain.

Chain letter? Why, yes, now that you mention it, it is sort of a chain letter. Matter of fact, I know an author who broke the meme chain--his contract fell through, his computer crashed, and his publisher was bought by a European consortium and is now printing all its books in Swedish. But you don't have to respond if you don't want to.

2 comments:

BJ said...

I certainly hope you manage to write that book, Richard (Question #1), because I definitely want to read it!

BJ

Rachelle said...

Richard, sure glad I stopped by your blog! I've composed mine and will post in a couple days. And I can't wait to read that book you mentioned in #1.

Also, I felt bad "dating myself" with my own answer to #3, but you've got me beat there, dude. Ha.