Friday, May 18, 2007

Seven Things About Me

The big thing on blogs now seems to be for bloggers to post "Seven Things About Me." My friend, D'Ann Mateer, tagged me recently and I had to beg off because I was trying to finish a manuscript. But it's about time to live up to the challenge, so here they are.

1) I was the valedictorian of Decatur High School in Decatur, Texas. At the time, all my teachers said, "That will look so good on your permanent record." So far, no one has asked about it. So much for believing your teachers.

2) While in high school, I won the State Meet (University Interscholastic League) in Extemporaneous Speech. No one who knows me will be surprised by this.

3) I received my pre-med education at North Texas State University (now the University of North Texas), graduating with a degree in chemistry and a minor in English. That apparently didn't do much for my tendency to insert commas at every opportunity, but it helped me understand English literature a bit better.

4) At North Texas, my Honors English Class included Bill Moyers and Pat Boone. No, we haven't kept up with each other. Neither of them have written to congratulate me on my success. I was the secretary of the Freshman Honor Society. My major advisor said it would look good on my permanent record. So far, no one has asked. So much for believing your major advisor.

5) I received my MD degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, and during my time there I met my future wife, a nursing student named Cynthia Surovik. We were married in 1959, right after her graduation and at the end of my junior year. We scrimped for every penny, worked outrageous hours, and were so in love that it didn't really matter.

6) I was drafted out of my residency (specialty training) and sent to Lajes Field in the Azores. It took me three months to make arrangements for Cynthia and my son, Allen, to join me there--ever try to convince a Dallas bank to loan you money to buy a house in the Azores? I became the Deputy Commander of the 1605th USAF Hospital, mainly because every other doctor who outranked me rotated back to the US shortly after I arrived. The commander and I saved the life of the baby daughter of one of the Portuguese nationals on the island (removed a coin lodged in her throat) and were written up in Stars and Stripes for it. At the end of my tour of duty I received the Air Force Commendation Medal. The Base Commander said it would look good on my permanent record. So far, no one has asked. So much for believing the Base Commander.

7) Cynthia and I were blessed with a wonderful family (pictured above: from oldest to youngest--Allen, Brian, Ann). We had forty years together before she was taken suddenly by a brain hemorrhage in September of 1999. Then God blessed me with the love of another wonderful woman, and Kay and I were married in 2001. Shortly thereafter, He called me into Christian writing. My book, The Tender Scar: Life After The Death Of A Spouse, was published in 2006. My publisher said it would look great on my permanent record....

5 comments:

One More Writer said...

Too funny, Richard! And I love knowing more of your history.

Ane Mulligan said...

Your blog is fast becoming one of my favorites. This redhead loves your humor. :o) That should look good on your permanent record ...

MJ said...

How fun to read 7 interesting facts about my former ENT/allergy doctor! Guess what--I'm about to begin my 3rd series of allergy injections, this time in Tulsa with Dr. Jane Purser. But you will always be on MY permanent record, Dr. M!!

Angie said...

WOW! I, for one, am most impressed with your records. I think I might have won...something...once? Oh, yes, when I was in the seventh grade I was class secretary. I got to attend all the School Council meetings and everything. Though now that I think about it, that was a volunteer position, not an elected one. Hmmm. Hey, maybe you'd let me borrow one of your accomplishments for my permanent record? That Commendation Medal might be able to open some doors for me... ;)

BJ said...

One of the things that looks great on your permanent record, Richard, is your sense of humor. If anyone asks, tell them your blog readers will vouch for that.

BJ