Monday, October 09, 2006

OK, If You Insist...

I've actually heard from a few folks that they read these random jottings. That's encouraging. And, believe it or not, apparently some people want to know about my writing. Details are on my web site, but here are the salient facts of how I got started. I'll give you the saga of my road to fiction writing in a later post.

Seven years ago, my wife of forty years died of a brain hemorrhage. I was devastated. I used journaling as a healing tool, and after a couple of years I'd accumulated a thick folder of material that covered my emotions, my struggles, all the experiences of a person who's lost a spouse to death. I was encouraged to turn them into a book. All of you writers reading this know that such a thing is easier said than done. But, after lots of work, a great deal of prayer, enough tears to fill a lake, and the emotional turmoil that goes along with "putting yourself out there" and writing about your failures and shortcomings as well as your triumphs--after all that, Kregel Publications gave me a contract and The Tender Scar: Life After The Death Of A Spouse was published. It's been out for about six months and has exceeded my hopes and dreams as a tool to minister to those who have sustained a loss and are mired in grief. In addition, I have been sort of eased into a ministry to the grieving. I thought I'd retired when I left the active practice of medicine almost five years ago, but God had other plans. Isn't that often the case?

The book is available via most online booksellers, and autographed copies can also be purchased online by clicking on this link.

If you want to contact me about speaking to your group, whether it's a Sunday school class, a small church group, a secular audience--whatever the venue, just send me an email at DrRLMabry@yahoo.com, and I'll respond.

And to those of you who were interested, thanks for asking. Blessings.

No comments: