Friday, August 18, 2006

Getting The Word Out

My only published work in the area of Christian writing (other than articles and meditations in periodicals) is the book that God literally forced me to write: THE TENDER SCAR: LIFE AFTER THE DEATH OF A SPOUSE. After its publication, I learned first-hand what I'd been told by other authors. Even though your publisher tries to get the word out about your book (after all, they're in business to make a profit), you are probably the person with the greatest desire for your book to be read by others. So, for the past four months I've done what I could to publicize the work. I want those who are suffering the grief that overwhelms them after the death of a spouse to know that those feelings in which they're drowning are normal, that others have felt them, and that they'll get through them. I want to help them cope, to begin healing, to survive that trip through the Valley of the Shadow of Death and get on with the life God has planned for them.

So, this big opportunity has arisen. On Sunday, I will travel with my wife (the Lord has blessed me yet again--but that's another story) to South Bend, Indiana, to be interviewed on Monday on the Harvest TV show. Frankly, I'd never heard of it until the publicist at Kregel set this up. Then I began watching it, and was fascinated. This show reaches into 46 million homes in the US, another 86 million in Europe, Africa, and South America, and billions of homes via short wave around the world. Am I nervous? Sure. I've done dozens of TV and radio interviews during my medical career. But this one is different, I'm offering a Christian message. So I've prayed that God will move me aside, take away any selfish desires I might have, and simply use me as his vessel. After all, that's what I want to do when I write for him. Speaking should be the same.

No comments: